A wealth of information exists that explains the relationships between school subjects and careers. Across the nation, children, teens, teachers, and counselors use Career Interests Areas or Clusters to explore careers and to make school study plans. There are sixteen (16) Interests Areas or Clusters:
- Agriculture, Food, & Natural Resources
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology & Communication
- Business, Management & Administration
- Education & Training
- Government & Public Administration
- Health Science
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Human Services
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety & Security
- Marketing, Sales & Service
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Transportation, Distribution & Logistics
States and federal agencies across the nation have created career cluster web sites and resources. We have reviewed three (3) of the best state or federal agency web sites.
Louisiana Integrated Skills Assessment (LISA)
One of the most unique comprehensive career cluster resources is the Louisiana Integrated Skills Assessment (LISA), an Internet program. LISA lets you explore career clusters, careers, abilities, training requirements, and more. Using the Lisa, you can do the following tasks:
- Assessment: Explore career options using the Work Importance Locator.
- I Enjoy: Find careers based upon the things that you enjoy.
- Cluster: Find careers from Career Cluster Groups.
- Search: Search for jobs based on knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Best Match: Use your current job to find knowledge, skills, and abilities to identify a new career.
- Compare: Compare current job to potential new job.
- Profile: Use this feature to create a profile from a selected career.
There are 3 steps in the LISA program. In Step 1, when you choose a career cluster, you will read the description of the cluster. When you select a career cluster in Step 2, you can select a career group. In each career group, you will see a lot of different careers. Finally, in Step 3, you see additional occupational information, such as:
- Job descriptions
- Educational and training requirements
- Crosswalks, for example ONET, DOT, GOE, and other codes
- Work Values
- Labor Market Information
There is detailed information in each job profile:
- Work Values
- Occupational Characteristics Narrative
The Louisiana Integrated Skills Assessment (LISA) is an excellent tool for students to do career cluster exploration.